10 Ridiculously Overpriced Hospital CostsIn January 2015 , author Steven Brill published ‘America’s Bitter Pill’, a hard hitting exposé on the wanton abuse in the healthcare industry. This short graphic highlights just a fraction of the incredibly inflated hospital costs that patients face everyday.
- 1. Tylenol = $15 – $15 per individual pill, for a total of $345 during average patient stay
- Plastic Bag = $8 - Plastic bags cost a grocery store 2 cents, at the hospital it’s 8 bucks.
- Box of tissues = $8 - Usually labeled as “mucus recovery system”
- Gloves = $53 And keep in mind, that’s $53 EVERY TIME a doctor or nurse has to put them on, so hopefully you don’t have to stay more than an hour.
- Cup for medicine = $10 - The CUP, not the actual medicine, is $10 a piece. Usually counts up to over $500 a stay.
- Marking pen = $18 - A simple pen that marks the incisions where the surgeon will cut.
- Cuff, BP Adult = $20 - Whenever a nurse checks your blood pressure. You don’t get to keep the cuff.
- Oral admin. fee = $7 - Whenever a nurse has to hand you medicine. Usually comes to about $90 per stay
- Holding your newborn = $39 - Just wait until you get home.
- Sterile water IV bag = $800 - Manufacturing cost… about one dollar.
Trackback from your site.